Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

About three years ago, my mom wrote this letter for me for my baby shower. I often refer back to it, especially on Mother's Day. It helps to remind me how precious these days are with Lily, and how I need to always make the most of every moment. Mother's Day used to be such a painful day for me, and I ache for those who desire to have children and have not been given that blessing yet. For those of you who are waiting to be moms, and are moms already, may this encourage you to be good M.O.T.H.E.R.S. ......

Dear Katie,
I was asked to write a special letter to you and so many thoughts flooded my mind. I wanted to specifically write something that would help you as you will soon begin mothering your own children. You have nurtured and mothered other children...but now you will have an awesome responsibility of raising children given to you through the hand of God. This letter seemed a bit overwhelming since there are so many things I could say. Because of that, I prayed God would give me some thoughts that might be helpful just for you. Many of these things will be familiar, especially the passages of scripture I jotted down to support these thoughts. I love you and wish I could be physically there with you...I will be praying for you so see God's unfailing faithfulness. Remember, don't be anxious....God is always at work, even when we don't see the progress ourselves.

I am going to use the word "MOTHER" to provide some reflections as you ponder what each letter represents.

M: Mission
As moms, our mission is to point our children to Christ in everything. We want them to see Christ, to love Christ, and to joy in Christ. We teach this through everyday experiences....even in their disobedience to reveal their need of a Saviour. We have no greater purpose. And we have no greater joy than to know our children walk in the truth (1 John). In Acts 3, Peter and John were standing by the cripple...the crippled man asked for silver and gold. But Peter replied, "Silver and gold I don't have....but such as I give thee...in the name of Jesus Christ, rise up and walk." we are to give Christ...that is the greatest need...and that is what we have been given. The scriptures to support these thoughts are Psalm 40, Psalm 41, Psalm 119:103, Psalm 32, Psalm 34

O: Overcome & Open
I'm thinking of overcoming the lies of the world that would turn us from treasuring Christ. How can you as a mom show that Christ is your greatest treasure? That He alone satisfies?
"O" is also for Open. Have an open home. Psalm 46:1 says that God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Your children will be blessed as you open your home as a refuge for others to be encouraged. Let them sit with you and hear you counsel others to trust Christ. Scriptures to support these thoughts are Psalm 119:104-105, Psalm 11:113-118, 2 Peter 5:6-10, Proverbs 4:23

T: Teach, Trust, Thankfulness
Mothers actually become the learners....but teach your trust on God at ALL times...and work hard at communicating thankfulness to God and to them. (Psalm 25, 121, 124; Matthew 6) Where your treasure is...and God's care in meeting all our needs. And, of course, teaching them to bow before the Lordship of Christ over everything in our lives. (Proverbs 3:5-6; Psalm 23)

H: Heart, Home, Haven
You have done an excellent job in making your home a haven. When the heart of your home is in it's proper place, it stays a haven. Keep the world out of your home....keep Christ as the center. And outwardly be loving as a husband & wife...it makes your kids feel secure and content. (Psalm 46:1; 1 Peter 3:8-18; Psalm 127:1)

E: Eternal significance
Mothering reaps eternal fruit. This can be hard to keep in mind on a bad day, when you feel like you are not appreciated. Or when everyday battles are still every day! Remember the verses about sowing to the spirit and sowing bountifully, 1 Corinthians 9:6-12. Read it daily. God gave me a thought of driving along a countryside and seeing fields of corn that are tightly planted , right to the edge of the road. I'd say. "This farmer is a very hard worker." If I were to drive vast field with three stalks of corn, I would say, "This farmer has wasted his land, he may not yield anything." So it is with what we put our hand to do, especially in parenting. SOW bountifully...and trust God to give you grace, strength, and eternal fruit. (Psalm 119:89-91; Psalm 113; Ecclesiastes 3)

R: Reward, Respect
This goes back to reaping what we sow. Proverbs 31:28 talks about children rising up and calling their mother blessed. Ephesians 4:13-32 says to put away bad speaking and to be kind, tenderhearted to one another. When our Children come to Christ, we are fellow heirs of Promise...the same power at work in us, Christ, is at work in them.

S: Serve, Strength
I didn't want to leave these out since our strength comes from the Lord. We are weak, but His grace is sufficient. (2 Corinthians 12:9 & Lamentations 3:21-26) We have hope because His faithfulness is new every morning...and WE NEED His faithfulness because we are not perfect. Draw on His promise that "Faithful is He who called you, who also WILL DO IT." 1 Thessalonians 5

Now these are not part of M.O.T.H.E.R.S. letters. But they are vital to live each day as a mother.....

Prayer, Purpose, Perseverance, and Patience (In that order)
Prayer is the foundation. We plead with God to build our home or we labour in vain.

Purpose is trusting in God's plans and conforming us have joy in His good purposes. (Eccl. 3, A time and a purpose for everything...Everything beautiful in HIS time...God doing the work that we may fear Him)

Persevering through trials...God is sovereign...God IS acting....God is FOR US and not against us.

And lastly, Patience. We never attain this...although is has it's perfect work...producing HOPE. Hope in what? God at work. God's faithfulness. Us delighting in our Heavenly Father who models His patience with us, daily.

With a full heart for you,
Love,
Mom (Mother)
_______________________________________________

Thanks mom for these words that often encourage me and strengthen me to trust in God's work over my own.  I hope these words encourage you again in  your own mothering once again.  I Love you more and more....

No comments: