Thursday, November 4, 2010

We love Hair



This post has been requested by many.  I am finally getting around to it!

Products I use for washing Lily's Hair:
When a Baby....Suave Kid's Smoothie 2-1 Shampoo (tear free) -or-
Now...Suave Naturals Almond & Shea butter Shampoo & Conditioner (not tear free)

Note: You can use suave smoothies for older children too, I just like the almond...

How:
Comb hair out of hair style thoroughly before shampooing.  Wet hair and GENTLY message shampoo into scalp, run your fingers through hair from scalp to hair ends to get the rest of the hair clean...you can't wash like a white person's head, you will knot up the hair.  Rinse.  Then add conditioner..lots or it...from scalp to ends...let sit for a few minutes...comb through with wide tooth comb..then rinse.

Then gently towel dry and put in leave in conditioner...scalp to ends..comb through...I like:
Pantene Pro-V relaxed and Natural Daily Oil Creme for Women of Color.  I do not recommend this for babies.
For babies use: Africa's Best Herbal oil.

I do not blow dry Lily's hair.  I am sure there will be a day when I need to, but I do not like unnecessarily drying it out.  What I like doing is sectioning her hair while it is wet and putting it in large twists or braids until it dries (overnight if I wash her hair at her evening bath).  When dry, we undo the twists, spray it with a little oil/water (Africa's best put into water bottle and add just enough water to allow it to be sprayed) and get to work on the hairdo!

I really recommend "Kid's talk Hair" from Cornrows & Co.  . Every white adoptive mom of black children should own this book.  It is so helpful for hairdos, how to work with African hair, how to treat lice, get sand out...etc....They also sell products, but I have never used them.

After the hairdo I keep Lily's hair moisturized for the week or so by either spraying my oil/water mix on it very morning or Palmer's Olive Oil Formula with Vitamin E Conditioning Spray.

We get our beads from Hobby Lobby..the nice light wooden ones....Here

It is also important to have a nice comb/brush set.  I like the Pro Results ten piece bone comb kit from Walmart in the African Hair care section and the Wav enforcer Fade Brush.

My pro Aunt Jerri will probably read this.  She gave me most of these tips when we got Lily...Am I missing anything Jerri?  Put it in the comments if I am :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/

When I saw this blog I thought of you Katie!